Vayeishev Genesis / Bereishit 37:1–40:23
Joseph in a pit, while his brothers present his torn and bloody coat to Jacob (Shabbos Stash) (Genesis / Bereishit 37:24-32)
- 13 tiny bear-shaped cookies
- 1 ice cream cone with a flat bottom
- Chocolate milk mix
- Powdered sugar
- Sliver of fruit leather, preferably multi-colored or red
- Jelly beans for shoes (optional)
Tools (all can be shared by many children at once):
- 2 small bowls
- 2 paint brushes (set aside for food products only)
- 1 pair of scissors (set aside for food products only)
To Prepare: (must be done very shortly before use):
- Put a tablespoon or two of chocolate milk mix (depending on the number of children making the snack) into one of the bowls. Add enough water to make a thick, paintable fluid.
- Put a teaspoon or two of powdered sugar (depending on the number of children making the snack) in one of the bowls. Add enough water to make a thick, paintable fluid.
- In a third bowl, dampen additional powdered sugar until it is the consistency of glue.
- Snap the ears off of the bear-shaped cookies.
- Decorate 1 bear-shaped cookie with brown “paint” to resemble hair only. This is Joseph.
- Decorate 11 bear-shaped cookies with brown hair and beards. These are the other brothers.
- Decorate remaining bear-shaped cookie with white powdered sugar “paint” hair and beard.
- (optional) If you wish for the people to stand, cut one jelly bean at a time and press on either side of each bear foot, except Joseph’s.
- Dip the bottom of the Joseph character into the thick sugar glue and stick to the inside of an ice cream cone to form the well.
- Attach the strip of fruit leather to the hand of one of the tiny persons representing the brothers, using sugar glue if necessary.